Call it boring or old fashioned (I prefer to think of it as low maintenance), but I LOVE receiving jewellery. Especially on Valentines Day.
I guess it’s a bit of a cop-out and I do love a creative gift that has had a lot of thought, but I’m of the opinion that picking the right piece of jewellery can take just as much thought and creativity as something that’s a bit more left of centre. We have some great little jewellery companies in Australia – small businesses who have cleverly worked little messages into their designs, or just designers who craft beautiful, delicate or fashionable pieces.
I think I blew my chance at jewellery this year by telling the husband that he had already bought me enough recently (really though, if there any such thing?!) but here’s a few options, for both him and her that might be helpful when choosing for your own lovely love!
2. FOR HIM OR HER: Code Love jewellery create pieces that have hidden messages spelled out in morse code through their gemstone patterns. Cool, huh?! This one says 'Love' but they also have bigger ones with full quotes, and you can create your own bespoke design.
3. FOR HIM: SuzyQ Longitude & Latitude Cufflinks Another personalized piece - you give the coordinates of a special place, perhaps where you met, got married or first said 'I Love You'.
I know, I'm a complete sap!
4. FOR HIM OR HER: Pony & Pressed Origami Crane Charm These guys make sweet, unique little gifts that any girl would love to receive - they're unique and handmade, and given that they're not mass produced, it's highly unlikely your love will know anyone with anything even similar!
5. FOR HER: Country Road Bangle - Coming into Autumn/Winter, black accents are going to be everywhere. I love how this bangle keeps it simple and chic.
6. FOR HIM: Merci Maman Leather Cuff These are just completely cool and sturdy enough if your man works with his hands and can't wear a lot of jewelry for fear of it getting damaged (like mine). Plus, you have the added bonus of adding a quote, lyric or message to the sterling silver plate!
7. FOR HIM: Hardy Brothers Titanium Bracelet This one is up on the luxury end of the gift scale, and a bit pricier than the others, but it is a quality, locally made and designed piece and that's always worth a few extra dollars. Men don't get much choice when it comes to good quality jewellery, so get something timeless and special engraved and give him something he can wear on special occasions.
8. FOR HER: Simone Walsh Earrings I do love a small, local business - especially when they make pieces as gorgeous as these earrings. Etched and gilded, they're delicate and sweet and perfect for the days that a girl just can't pick between white and yellow!
The thought is really in picking something out that will suit your partner’s personality and finding something that conveys what they mean to you – and for my money, that can be just as hard as finding any other gift and is sure to be appreciated!
Good luck and happy loving!